onsdag 19. mars 2014

WoGE #434

Luis' WoGE #433 seemed almost impossible at first glance, but there were enough clues to lead me to New Zealand even without noticing the deleted image information.

Sticking with an eruptive theme, I hereby present one that I suspect really IS hard:

I have zoomed rather close, but that is because there is nothing more to see!

A warning: If you activate shorelines, this one isn't marked - at least not in the correct place. The Wikipedia tag is in a third location.


For any new players to Where on (Google) Earth, simply post a comment with latitude and longitude and write something about the (geologic/geographic/hydrographic) feature in the picture. If you win, you get to host the next one. Previous WoGEs are collected by Felix on his blog and a KML file.

8 kommentarer:

  1. 19°10'38.90"S 174°50'50.44"W Metis Shoal, Tonga Islands a submarine volcano midway between the islands of Kao and Late, has produced a series of ephemeral islands since the first confirmed activity in the mid-19th century. An island, perhaps not in eruption, was reported in 1781 and subsequently was eroded away. During periods of inactivity following 20th-century eruptions, waves have been observed to break on rocky reefs or sandy banks with depths of 10 m or less. Dacitic tuff cones formed during the first 20th-century eruptions in 1967 and 1979 were soon eroded beneath the sea surface. An eruption in 1995 produced an island with a diameter of 280 m and a height of 43 m following growth of a lava dome above the surface.

    SvarSlett
  2. Nothing IS hard enough for Felix! (insert evil laugh) :D

    SvarSlett
  3. Dear Luis, if I remember it right, I have learned from you. I've found this location with the google picture search within 2 minutes.

    SvarSlett
  4. That trick isn't mine! I think it was Ole who discovered that technic ...
    I've used it, but the credits should go to another player :)

    SvarSlett
  5. Metis shoal it is - the 2005 eruption. If you look at historic pictures, you will find that this one was taken on 10/11/2005<, the earlier one at 9/5/2005 shows no island.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Next time I think I'll use a single sand dune. I have a few possibles...

      Slett
  6. In the late central European evening, I'm going to publish WOGE 435, which will be Google-Picture-Search resistant!!

    SvarSlett
  7. WOGE#435 can be found at : http://woge-felix.blogspot.de/2014/03/where-on-google-earth-435.html

    SvarSlett